Friday, March 26, 2010

Post 3 "Real vs. Fake" food

I used to love my mom's homemade beef and vegetable stew. The stew was made from everything Pollan would consider "real" food. We always used fresh vegetables from our garden in our yard like potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes. Fresh Beef tips from the grocery store was another main ingredient. Since I have been here at school I have had to resort to canned soups like Chunky's Beef Stew because I do not have the facilities or the time and know how to make homemade soup myself. I am not sure about the nutritional value but I want to say it is obvious that the soup my parents made was much more healthy than the soup in a can. The taste difference is obvious, Chunky's all tastes the same, the vegetables taste no different than the beef which is very weird. Soup made with real ingredients has a better and fresher taste that I always prefer over processed alternatives. The only reason I eat canned soup is because it is more available and convenient for me but hopefully some day I will have a kitchen and be able to attempt to cook for myself.

6 comments: